Making a complaint

In NSW it is illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of their sexuality, transgender status, gender age, race or marital status. If you feel you have been discriminated against you may be able to take action against the particular service. Certain services like women’s refuges can legally refuse to offer service to men. This is to ensure the safety and appropriateness of services to their clients.

The Police
If the police do not respond as they should or they refuse to acknowledge your
relationship or behave in other inappropriate ways, you can:

  • Request that they follow the steps listed here (in the section "In an emergency call the police").
  • Ask to speak to the officer in charge. If necessary, call the station while the police are still at your home.
  • Make a complaint to the Police Customer Services Unit by calling 1800 62 25 71.
  • Contact the NSW Ombudsman’s Office on (02) 9286 1000 or 1800 45 15 24. One of the core functions of the NSW Ombudsman is to handle complaints about government agancies.

Chamber Magistrates and Court Staff
If the Chamber Magistrate or other court staff do not do what they are supposed to, if they refuse to acknowledge your relationship or if they discriminate against you, you can:

  • Make a complaint to the Clerk of the Court. You can ask a court staff member to help you find the Clerk of the Court. 
  • If this doesn’t resolve your complaint you can contact the Community Relations Division of the Attorney General’s Department on (02) 9228 7586 or 1800 68 44 49.

Discrimination From Service Providers
If you believe you have experienced discrimination from a service provider you can contact the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board.
Phone: (02) 9268 5544 Freecall: 1800 67 08 12 TTY: (02) 9268 5522