Contact and Referral Information

"I found a new place to live and, witha police gay and lesbian Liaison Officer as an esscort, went to pick up my belongings and left" (David, 27)

There are a range of services that can provide you with information, referral, help and support. These include:

In an emergency, call 000.

The police have the power and responsibility to intervene to protect you from physical or sexual violence or stalking. If it is not an emergency you can ask if a Gay and Lesbian Liaison Officer (GLLO) who has had training in working with members of the gay and lesbian community is available. Alternately, you may wish to speak with a Domestic Violence Liaison Officer (DVLO) who has special training in working with people who are experiencing domestic violence.

Most stations have a DVLO, some have a GLLO. To contact a GLLO or DVLO call the Police Switchboard on (02) 9281 0000 and ask for the station or officer nearest you.

Domestic Violence Line
The Department of Community Services Domestic Violence Line is the primary information service for people experiencing domestic violence in NSW

Freecall: 1800 65 64 63  TTY: 1800 67 14 42
The DV Line is free and staffed 24-hours, 7-days a week.
(Please note - if you call the 1800 number from your mobile it will be billed to your account and appear on your bill. If you call from a landline or pay phone it is free and will not appear on your bill.)

Sexual Assault Services
For women the NSW Rape Crisis Centre offers 24-hour counselling, support and information.
Phone: (02) 9819 7357   TTY: 1800 42 40 17

NSW Health provides sexual assault services across NSW. To find a sexual assault service near you, click on the link below, and then click on 'service directory' and in the search area, type in 'sexual assault':

Relationships Australia

Relationships Australia provides relationship support including counselling, family dispute resolution, relationships education and parenting skills training, specialised family violence programs, children's programs, and programs which specifically enagage Indigenous and culturally and linguistically diverse families, groups and communities.

Phone: 1300 364 277 (You will be automatically transferred to your nearest relationships Australia Office)

Victims’ Support Line
If you have experienced physical or sexual assault you can call the 24-hour Victims Support Line for information, support and referral. The staff can tell you about your right to claim compensation and help you complete an application, as well as provide you with information about preparing a victim impact statement. You may also be able to apply for counselling through the Victims of Crime Bureau.
Phone: (02) 9374 3005   Freecall: 1800 63 30 63.

LawAccess NSW
LawAccess NSW provides free telephone legal information, to people in NSW. Legal information resources such as apllying for an AVO can be accessed on the LawAccess website.
Phone and TTY: 1300 888 529

Inner City Legal Centre (ICLC), Lesbian, Gay, Transgender and Intersex Legal Advice Service

The ICLC operates the Lesbian, Gay, Transgender and Intersex Legal Advice Service on Wednesday evenings at their Kings Cross office from 6pm (by appointment only). This service offers information and advice on a range of legal matters affecting the LGBTI community. To make an appointment call between 9am -5pm Monday to Friday. 

Phone: (02) 9332 1966       Freecall: 1800 244 481

ICLC's Safe Relationships Project
The Safe Relationships Project (SRP) is a court assistance scheme for people in same sex relationships, transgender people and intersex people who are experiencing domestic violence. The SRP can provide you with information about AVOs and can help you with going to court. To make an appointment call between 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday.

Phone: (02) 9332 1966   Freecall: 1800 224 481

ACON’s Lesbian and Gay Anti-Violence Project
The Lesbian and Gay Anti-Violence Project (AVP) works to improve the outcomes for victims of homophobic and same-sex domestic violence and to address the underlying causes of violence. The AVP runs a confidential violence report line and information and referral service. The AVP also lobbies relevant authoroties for better services for the GLBT community. By making a report to the AVP you can assist them to monitor and map homophobic hate crimes and SSDV. The information is then used to develop education and safety strategies and to advocate for change to make our community safer.  (In emergencies call the police.)

The Anti-Violence Project is generally open 10am-6pm, Monday to Friday.
Phone: (02) 9206 2116   Freecall: 1800 063 060
Online Report:

The AIDS Council of NSW (ACON) is a community based GLBT health and HIV/AIDS organisation. ACON has a range of services that may be appropriate for people experiencing same-sex domestic violence such as information, referral, counselling or support. ACON services also incude an Aboriginal Project, a Lesbian Health project, an Alcohol and other Drugs program, HIV services and a range of services for gay men.

Phone: (02) 9206 2000   Freecall: 1800 063 060
TTY: (02) 9283 2088

ACON Housing

Contact: ACON Housing Project

HIV Officer - Monday to Friday
GLBT Housing Officer - Tuesdays and Thursdays

Phone: (02) 9206 2093 or (02) 9206 2039 Free Call: 1800 063 060
TTY: (02) 9283 2088

The Gender Centre
The Gender Centre provides information and services to transgender people in NSW.

Phone: (02) 9569 2366


OII is the Australian affiliate of Organisation Internationale des Intersexues - the only worldwide organization of intersex people. This website provides information and support for intersex people in Australia.

Translating and Interpreting Service
The Translating and Interpreting Service is a national service for people who do not speak English and for English speakers who need to communicate with people who do not speak English. The service is available 24 hours a day, even days a week.

Phone: 13 1450 (24 hours)